Testosterone hormone is produced in testicles which help in maintaining men’s bone density, red blood cell production, muscle strength and mass, sperm production, sex drive and fat distribution in body. However with age factor, hypogonadism affects men in which male’s body are unable to produce normal amounts of testosterone due to problems in testicles or pituitary gland which controls testicles. But with testosterone therapy for testosterone replacement, one can easily improve signs and symptoms of low testosterone.
What are the signs and symptoms of low testosterone?
- Changes in sexual function: It can result into reduced sexual desire and infertility in extreme cases.
- Physical changes: It can result into increased body fat, decreased bone density, hair loss, reduced muscle bulks and strength, hot flashes, swollen or tender breasts and low levels of energy in body.
- Emotional changes: Low testosterone can cause emotional changes like decrease in confidence and motivation, concentration problems, depression and anxiety etc.
- Changes In sleeping patterns: It can result into insomnia and other type of sleep related problems.
The promises of testosterone therapy are very enticing. It increases your muscles mass, boosts your libido, improves energy level and sharpen your memory and concentration. As you grow old, testosterone therapy may sound like an ultimate anti-aging formula.
Testosterone therapy has following risks as well-take a look!
- It can result into growth of too many red blood cells which increases the risk of heart disease in body.
- Testosterone therapy can cause breast enlargement
- It can lead to sleep apnea. In sleep apnea, your breathing repeatedly stops and starts when you are sleeping.
- It can cause acnes and other type of skin reactions
- Testosterone therapy limits the production of sperms and causes testicle shrinkage
- It stimulates noncancerous growth of the prostate and possibly stimulate growth of existing prostate cancer.
Do you know that number of aging men with low testosterone have reported improvement in their sex drive, energy levels and mood enhancement after testosterone replacement therapy. So if testosterone is low, why not get it replaced?
Flaws with Testosterone Replacement
It is sad to reveal that testosterone replacement is not free from flaws. It possesses various side effects and long term risk as well. Therefore not every man but only those who suffer from symptoms of low testosterone should go for testosterone replacement.
Symptoms for Testosterone Replacement
What are the symptoms of low testosterone? With aging, the level of testosterone drops in body which give rise to various signs and symptoms. Such Low testosterone symptoms include:
- Concentration difficulties
- Erectile dysfunction
- Fatigue and poor energy levels
- Low sex drive
- Low sense of well-being
Methods Available for Testosterone Replacement
You would be glad to know that testosterone replacement is available in different forms to improve your testosterone levels in body. Check out these forms below:
- Gels: Androgel and Testim are names of testosterone gels. When these gels are applied on skin, the testosterone present in them gets easily absorbed through skin. They should be used once in a day only or as prescribed by doctor. Foresta, Androgel and Axiron come in pump form that delivers exactly that amount of testosterone as prescribed by your doctor.
- Skin patch: Androgerm is a skin patch which is worn on arm or upper part of body and applied once in a day.
- Mouth patch: Striant tablet which sticks to the upper gums above your incisors should be taken twice a day. This tablet helps in continuously releasing testosterone into blood through oral tissues.
- Injections and implants: they can also be directly injected into muscles or implanted as pellets in soft tissues. Our body slowly absorbs the testosterone into bloodstream.
Testosterone is a male sex hormone secreted by testes. The production of this hormone helps in development of male sex organs, increase in sex drive, energy levels and muscle growth. However normal testosterone levels falls down with aging. Number of symptoms in body starts emerging when testosterone levels falls down. Some of such symptoms are:
- symptoms of depression
- decreased sex drive
- loss of muscle mass
- decreased energy levels
- difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection
Low testosterone can be treated with testosterone replacement. Testosterone replacement is done in variety of ways:
- Testosterone can be used in injection form for rapidly increasing testosterone levels in body after every 2-4 weeks.
- Testosterone patches or gels applied every 24 hours on major muscles like upper arm, thighs, and buttocks too help in testrorone replacement. The skin easily absorbs testosterone into the muscles. The gels and patches provide constant dose of testosterone and prevents side effects related with injectable replacement therapy. But the loop side of using this treatment is that it takes longer to bring testosterone level back to normal state. Testosterone replacement is very effective but it is sad that it has some potential problems associated with it. Check side effects related with testosterone replacement written below in the article!
- Replacement therapy is not needed by everyone. People suffering from male hypogonadism or low testosterone production are the ones who go for testosterone replacement.
- It is sad to reveal that sexual dysfunction cannot get cured with testosterone replacement.
- Even after increasing testosterone in body, it is hard to treat fatigue caused by factors like workload and stress.
- This therapy enhances the chances of liver ailment in body.
- Unnecessary testosterone replacement my put a man at a higher risk of prostate cancer.