We all know that hormone replacement therapy helps in providing relief from menopausal symptoms such as sleep disturbances, hot flashes, vaginal dryness and night sweats etc. it also helps in prevention of colon cancer, macular degeneration and helps in delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. But it is sad to reveal that there are certain hormone replacement therapy side effects. Some of such hormone replacement therapy side effects are written below in the article-have a look!
- Increased risk of breast cancer if HRT is used for 4 or more years.
- Increased risk of endometrial cancer in uterus of women if estrogen is taken with progestin or progesterone.
- Slight Increase in ovarian cancer risk is in one of considerable hormone replacement therapy side effects.
- Breast pain
- Increased risk of getting affected by blood clots, associated with oral estrogens such as Premarin
- Slightly increased risks of gallbladder disease, associated with oral estrogens such as Premarin
- Nausea, associated with oral estrogens
- Negative effects on mood associated with progestins. E.g. medroxyprogesterone acetate is count in one of the most common hormone replacement therapy side effects.
- Bloating and fluid retention associated with progestins, e.g. medroxyprogesterone acetate
- Monthly vaginal bleeding can occur in women if she takes progestin and estrogen in cyclical style instead of all the time. Women may suffer from bleeding or spotting when both estrogen and progesterone or progestin is taken every day.
- Moreover HRT is not recommended for women who have
- A history of cancer in uterus
- suffered from vaginal bleeding without any specific reason
- History of breast cancer
- Liver disease
- Cardiovascular disease: women who are suffering from cardiovascular diseases if take HRT increases their chances of suffering from second heart attack or stroke by many folds. This is one of important hormone replacement therapy side effects that should be taken into considerations.
- Blood clots in the veins or legs, or in the lungs.
Do you know, it has been seen that trying different type of HRT like bio-identical hormones or using transdermal product instead of pills help in reducing the side effect related with HRT.