Testosterone is a male sex hormone secreted by testes. The production of this hormone helps in development of male sex organs, increase in sex drive, energy levels and muscle growth. However normal testosterone levels falls down with aging. Number of symptoms in body starts emerging when testosterone levels falls down. Some of such symptoms are:
- symptoms of depression
- decreased sex drive
- loss of muscle mass
- decreased energy levels
- difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection
Low testosterone can be treated with testosterone replacement. Testosterone replacement is done in variety of ways:
- Testosterone can be used in injection form for rapidly increasing testosterone levels in body after every 2-4 weeks.
- Testosterone patches or gels applied every 24 hours on major muscles like upper arm, thighs, and buttocks too help in testrorone replacement. The skin easily absorbs testosterone into the muscles. The gels and patches provide constant dose of testosterone and prevents side effects related with injectable replacement therapy. But the loop side of using this treatment is that it takes longer to bring testosterone level back to normal state. Testosterone replacement is very effective but it is sad that it has some potential problems associated with it. Check side effects related with testosterone replacement written below in the article!
- Replacement therapy is not needed by everyone. People suffering from male hypogonadism or low testosterone production are the ones who go for testosterone replacement.
- It is sad to reveal that sexual dysfunction cannot get cured with testosterone replacement.
- Even after increasing testosterone in body, it is hard to treat fatigue caused by factors like workload and stress.
- This therapy enhances the chances of liver ailment in body.
- Unnecessary testosterone replacement my put a man at a higher risk of prostate cancer.